Spring rolling around signifies a couple of things in Canada – Snow melts, grass grows and of course the Footy returns!
This is true for senior footy of course but a growing force right across Canada is junior footy in various forms. From Calgary to Halifax junior Footy is flying in Canada – check out a little more info on each centre below:
Calgary Kangaroos (AFL Alberta):
- The OG’s of Junior Footy in Canada up to their old tricks again and bouncing back strongly from a few covid affected seasons!
- Over 120 juniors registered in either Auskick, Kangakick or Kinderkick across 5 centres located around Calgary.
- Calgary Kangaroos also had 2 full time staff members that visited over 20 schools throughout the spring showing kids our great game!
Halifax Dockers (AFL Nova Scotia):
- The Dockers were one of three AFL Canada Clubs to roll out the Northern Lights Youth Mentor Project in 2022.
- Over 40 girls aged 10-15 registered to take part in the project over 6 weeks, not only learning all about Footy but taking part in webinars discussing topics relevant to their age group.
Central Blues AFC (AFL Ontario):
- The Blues rebooted their Auskick program in 2022 – one of three clubs in AFL Ontario running junior Footy this year.
- 2 Auskick centres total were run in the spring and keep an eye out for more information on upcoming programs in the Summer & Fall.
Calgary Kookaburras (AFL Alberta):
- The Calgary Kookaburras joined the Northern Lights Youth Mentor Project party as well, running TWO centres throughout the Spring.
- The Kookas had over 50 girls register across those two centres and have laid plans for a Summer program – stay tuned!
Hamilton Wildcats AFC (AFL Ontario):
- The third club taking advantage of the Northern Lights Youth Mentor Project and the second Ontario-based club running juniors this year.
- Hamilton’s first crack at a juniors program this year was seen as a huge success with an awesome group of girls joining the program and an equally as awesome group of coaches taking the reigns!
- Head to Hamilton AFC’s Instagram to check out all the action!
Ottawa Swans (AFL Ontario):
- Following on from a successful Year 1 the Ottawa Swans juniors program was bigger and better than ever this year, expanding to two centres and introducing a Kangakick program to add to their existing Auskick program.
- 30+ kids registered across the two centres enjoying the 6-week season.
- As well as that the Swans trialled the Northern Lights Youth Mentor Project across the winter leading into the expansion sites for the spring.
- The Ottawa Swans also embarked on school programs this year sharing the great game of Footy with high school students in the region.
Looking to start your own junior program? All the information and resources you’ll need are located in the AFL Canada Juniors Hub.