Who is going to run your In School Footy Sessions?
- Members of the club who are available to go and run sessions throughout the day.
- University students looking for volunteer hours . Certificates/reference letters can be organised.
- Particularly related fields like education and kinesiology.
- Some clubs have subsidised player fees for Auskick Volunteers.
- Most sustainable way of running the program and helps embed the club further in the community.
CANADA SUMMER JOBS (CSJ) PROGRAM
- Funding opportunity from the National Government – more information here.
- Applications are generally open around February-March each year.
- Funding provides 8 weeks worth of wages for eligible University students.
- The funding allows these students to work in specific areas (constituencies).
- These constituencies have specific priorities to that you would include in your application – CSJ Priorities by area.
- Your club needs a CRA business number to apply.
- This is a fairly simple process – reach out to email@example.com for assistance.
Canada Summer Job Success Stories:
- Calgary Kangaroos AFC have utilised the the Canada Summer Jobs funding extensively over the last 4-5 years.
- This has allowed Calgary to hire up to 8-10 youth to run in school footy session in throughout Calgary each year. In 2019 they saw 20,000 kids!
- These CSJ applications and subsequent youth hires have allowed Calgary Kangaroos to run 11 Auskick centres all over Calgary in 2020 and have over 200 kids register!
- There are multiple resources to help train and develop your instructors or coaches.
- Instructors can be registered to complete their AFL Level 1 coaching accreditation – email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Lesson plans for Auskick can be found here.
- Teaching/Coaching tips for new instructors can be found here.
- Clubs have ran a full day comprehensive training session, before going into schools which includes:
- Role practicing the games, drills, etc.
- Level 1 Coaching accreditation.
- Observation of already trained coaches.
- Shadowing of experienced coaches generally follows this session.