Some basic teaching tips for those who are just starting out coaching/instructing/teaching Footy!
- Always do a safety search of the field/area you are using. Look for any hazards that can cause injuries.
- Always use a whistle, this will save your voice when trying to stop a drill or gather the group.
- Always use a watch – there’s nothing worse than not fitting your planned lesson in because you lose track of time.
- When talking to a group:
- Make sure the class isn’t facing the sun.
- Make sure the class isn’t facing something distracting behind you.
- Make sure their footys/other equipment are on the ground or out of their hands.
- Be organised when setting up drills and games, less down time means more time for activities.
- Engagement is the best form of classroom management – if the students are engaged in the activity there won’t be behaviour issues.
- An example is, make sure inclusion is a priority. If all kids are involved in a game or skill drill there won’t be any issues. But distractions can happen if kids are sitting out.